Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Making art books with Sharon Payne Bolton

Yesterday I got to play with Sharon in her studio and make this gorgeous art book. Sharon is an incredibly gorgeous, talented artist who warmly welcomed me to join her for an afternoon of creative play. I gladly accepted!!She has the best studio full of old papers, stamps, images, paint, wax, wire, clocks, and much more with which to play and create. She provided all the supplies graciously and guided me through how to create this fabulous art book. Step 1 was gluing paper directly onto the boards. Step 2 was sanding the edges and darkening them with black ink. Step 3 was layering them with anything that caught my eye, an antique lady, lace, stamps, sky was the limit here. Step 4 was playing with the encoustic which was my favorite, it's bascially melted wax and I was obseesed, I wanted to do it on every page! The last part was sewing it together with sticky twine and "Voila" a beautiful book of images I will treasure forever. The best part was spending time with a talented and lovely woman who inspires me to create more and more art. I get stuck in painting only and this helped to loosen up the possibilities for me. Thank you Sharon, it was a Joy Jar day!!!

1 comment: